Your feedback is vital to us as we continue to increase the quality of our services.
You are here:
Date: 9 December 2022
What are we looking for in a volunteer?
Volunteering at University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust (UHB) can offer a great opportunity to give something back to your local community. However, hospitals can be very challenging environments. They are busy places that care for sick and critically ill patients and their families which can be distressing.
Therefore, to be a volunteer you need to be able to commit to the role fully and ensure you are the right type of person to volunteer in a hospital environment.
Volunteers need to be:
- Friendly and approachable
- Caring and good listeners
- Comfortable approaching people to offer help
- Able to work independently and use initiative after initial training period
- Emotionally mature and able to stay calm in difficult situations
- Able to offer a regular weekly commitment for at least 12 months
Each role has a specific list of duties that the volunteer can undertake, however all volunteers should also:
- Be polite, courteous and respectful to others
- Know the hospital layout and be a source of information
- Direct or escort patients or visitors to their appropriate destination
- Wear the Trust volunteer ID badge and uniform appropriately
- Adhere to the volunteer code of conduct
- Promote a positive image of the hospital, staff and voluntary services
- Uphold the values of the Trust
- Sign in before every shift
Information about travelling to, staying at and getting around the hospital.
Jobs at UHB
A great place to work. Learn why.